Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I Don't Care Where My Food Comes From



Other title considerations were:

"Blasphemy Causes Lightning at Whole Foods"
or
"Confessions of a Food Whore" 
or 
"My Life Was So Out of Control, I wasn't Sure Where My Last Meal Came From"

I had sort of just bought into this idea that nowadays, everyone wants to where there food comes from.  I thought I did too, but I found out recently I don't, like not at all, actually maybe I do, the closer the better, and I ain't talkin' bout local.  To care if my food was raised with care for animals and Earth sounds so wonderful, and I have nothing against it, but there is no evidence of it in my life. I can hear some of your hearts breaking as I type this. 

It was kind of a surprising discovery. Saturday, back at home after 2 days at the AgChat conference. I was hungry for lunch.  Went to the fridge and saw we had a couple of pre-cooked briskets we've been getting for a while now from Wal-Mart, yessss. Corn tortillas? yesss...Shredded Cheese? Awesome..Cholula or Tapatio sauce? We have a go....Brisket Tacos with cheese on toasted corn tortillas, its a meal that I eat 3 times a week at least. Takes about 30 minutes in the oven for the brisket to heat up, so in the meantime I get some On The Border branded tortilla chips from the pantry and pour some salsa into a bowl and pretend Im waiting for my meal at a Mexican Restaurant. Salsa is kinda spicy, so I open a compulsively bought Heineken Dark Lager. I didnt even know they made a dark beer, but its pretty good (save your beer snobbery comments if they apply here).

If nothing else the AgChat conference really got my wheels turning.  One part if the meeting was a 3 person panel who was asked varying food questions  "through the eyes of the consumer".  I'll sum it up: The Kansas City Chef/Restaurant Owner was a fan of local, traceable food for her restaurant and customers. That's how her restaurant is branded, so of course that makes sense.  Good for her, great idea, I wish her success. The Mommy Blogger wanted to know that she was putting healthy, non-processed food into her kids mouths. Good for her, great idea, way to make me feel like crap everytime I hand my kids a lunchable, "fruit snack", or I eat my second pouch of Gushers today (there must be nicotine in Gushers).  The Grocery Store Dietitian (not kidding) made an interesting comment, she said something like

 "I dont really care where my food comes from, I just want to know if its good for me." 

Yes! I didn't know it at the time, but thank you!, thats just like me, except for that second part. How do I know? Ill tell you what I did to find out: I thought about what I was eating and about to eat.  I hadnt a clue about the origin of nary an ingredient save one: the Heineken, proudly labelled with "Brewed in Holland" (hmm, this beer thinks it's better than the other beers I guess...kidding kidding)  Where were the chips from? Couldn't tell. The salsa? Kansas maybe. The shredded cheese? Well, its Great Value brand so Wal-mart, duh. The brisket in the oven? The wrapper was in the trash, and I couldve looked, but I didnt! Because I have principles that I operate under. It's what separates us from the animals:) I may or may not have been eating genetically modified corn, organic or non organic beef, jalapenos from a drug-cartel controlled jalapeno farm...I have no idea, and I am choosing not to want to know. 

In my head, its such a slippery slope. If I care where my food is from or how its made and gets here, then why shouldnt I care where and how my clothes are made or (and I love to point this out) the conditions my precious Iphone or laptop are produced.  But again, thats just me, maybe other people draw the line at food traceablity activism while proudly blogging about it on their (insert literally any electronic device here) while wearing their (insert like literally soooo many different items of clothing here).  By all means, find out where you food is from, if the cows are happy, if the workers are paid a fair wage, but it might be hard to find the time if you are sewing all your own clothes, and trying to blog about it on your imaginary computer.  Awesomely, me blogging about people doing this, using my Macbook while wearing my Retro Jordan V's is reaching Ironicspheric levels. If this paragraph has taught you anything, its that BECAUSE of my non-action,  Im actually less hypocritical than many of you, thats a relief! 

The panel discussion at AgChat looked at food choices through the eye of the consumer.  I'll give you something even more interesting: Food Choices through the Eyes of a Farmer.  There are at least 3 factors that affect what I eat...2 are explicit, and 1 is implied..almost subconscious.

Factor #1: Taste and Short-Term Body Response.  I'm old school I guess.  The experience I go through when the food enters my mouth is numero uno importante.  Followed closely by my bodies response over the next few hours to that initial experience, hopefully no unexpected numero dos if ya know what I mean.

Factor #2: Convenience in Acquiring the Food. If the food is not with the other food at the time of the food acquisitioning time, its not going to be consumed by me.  

Important to note: Both factors above swing wildly based on hunger levels at the time of the decision to eat or acquire the food.

Factor #3: Safety. This is actually the most critical factor, but its passive, implied, assumed, a result of living in a country that places high value on providing a safe food source for the world.  I havent been hungry enough yet to eat something I didnt think was safe.  WHAT A LUXURIOUS ASSUMPTION WE CAN MAKE! My wife had a great thought on the drive home from the AgChat conference:

"I just want to know if my food is safe. If it's in the store I'm assuming it's safe"

This is also why she throws away food at 11:59pm on expiration eve. Imagine walking through the store aisles and comparing price, ingredients, cool labeling, and oh yeah "which one of these tomato pastes do you think might kill us in our sleep?" That would suck, be thankful, it could be China.

We are almost to the closing prayer, better wake up.

I have a mechanic friend. I envy him, he can fix anything. Cars, trucks, diesel, gas, any kind of engine, he can take apart, rebuild, whatever, he's been doing it for years.  We were talking about motor oil one day and I wanted to know which brand I should use. If its up to me I assume more expensive is better, cooler commercials are better, futuristic labels and bottles are better, but I wanted to know from him.  He's seen it all, he works with it day in and day out, the way mechanical things work are a passion for him.  He said:

"You know, there may be little differences here and there, but there basically all the same, you'd be fine using the cheapest oil forever or the most expensive forever. Everything in the store will work just fine."

He should know. I trust him to know. He's not a scientist in a labcoat tryin' to confuse me with his molecular voodoo talk. He has direct first-hand experience.

When it comes to food, farmers know.  We know what we do to produce a safe food product.  We take pride in it.  I've met many farmers and seen many different operations. The quality and safety of our food in this country is so assumed even farmers don't discuss it much.  We produce tons of milk here on our farm, but since most of it goes it all is sold out of state, I doubt I've ever had a drop. When I get a gallon of milk at the store it isn't from our farm.  I dont worry about it though because I know that that milk or the cheese on my pizza was made by another American farmer who takes pride in what he or she does.  We are farmers, we know that the 5 different brands of eggs are just that, 5 different brands...... of eggs. We are farmers, we know that that milk's still good for a few days (my wife doesn't care). 

So if you're wondering what you should be eating, ask a farmer what he eats, there's a good chance he's not even eating the food he produced. I think he'll say that if you bought your food here, in this country, you'll be just fine.  As for me, I'm pretty simple,if the food on my plate came from a farmer who produced it with pride. That's good enough for me, 'cause when it comes to food, farmers know.

-@JoshinYall
    




20 comments:

  1. Josh,
    You're a natural born blogger. (enough said)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food choices are for all!! Some want details some don't. We all have choices, but all should be thankful that there is also safe food in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with your wife Josh. I assume food safety in a grocery store. I also agree with your choices. Convenience plays a huge role for me. I do look at labels. I don't want tomato paste from China! Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog post! I spend time in China every year for my job (promoting safe, quality agriculture food products from ND!) and it's a very scary feeling knowing that you can't just buy what you see off the shelf in the Chinese stores because there IS the fear of contaminated food. We are truly blessed to have full access to safe food in our stores here in the US! - @sinnerND

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing your reactions during this panel and I though Josh has something to say for sure! Great job saying it.

    I've been in the same place as you guys and I admit, your wife is dead on target for me! I assume everything in my stores are safe.... I remember hearing about -- and I'm not making this up -- bathtub cheese and how some people were surprised there could be contaminants in something like that. HELLO! Its made in a bathtub and sold out of the trunk of a car!

    On the other hand, I've been paying a lot more attention to nutrition labels. Seems I may have a tendency to overindulge in carbs, need to be sure I get enough of the good proteins, etc. I never paid much attention before and think that's where I let myself get in trouble. Taste & immediate reaction aren't working for me long term. But awesome for you if that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've finally found a cheese that I do not want to try!

      Delete
  6. I could not have said this better myself. In fact I wish I had said this myself on my own blog, because this is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't care if my food is GMO, organic, natural, etc. I too assume the US food supply is safe. That's not to say I don't pay attention to recalls that pop up now and again. It's just that I know our food is incredibly safe. I do read labels. I try to limit my sugar, salt, and fat. But that's about it. Keeping calories reasonable is a big part of my shopping experience too.

    I may be a farmer who uses biotech on most of his acres, but that doesn't mean I'm against other production methods. If you can carve out your own little niche and make a living from your efforts then you are already pretty awesome in my book.

    Last thing. A while back we were having trouble keeping our milk tasty until the expiration date. A simple tweet to dairy farmers informed me to keep the milk in the back of the fridge instead of on the door. Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is just how I feel. As someone raised on an organic farm, you might expect me to feel differently but I don't, nor do my parents for the most part. My dad, the farmer, has some cases where he avoids certain foods for health reasons but that's about it.

    Thanks for writing this. It's very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I smiled more than once while reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As did I Mace. Well done, Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Josh, Doing a great job! I laughed out loud when I read this, as this scenario plays out in my household daily. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great!! Thanks for this for it is how I feel too. A good friend of mine who now lives in California sent me a message asking questions about "food" and what I thought as a farmer. I have been going over and over in my head what to tell him to not offend, but lay out the facts and now I don't have to. You have done it for me.
    COUNTRY LINKed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sitting across from you at the advanced Twitter session I applaud you for putting this out there. I know you expressed concerns about sharing certain things with certain audiences. This is real. It's personable. It's exactly the kind of thing you need to develop who YOU are on social media. And that is huge. Well done! Keep up the good work and know you've got a great group of supporters behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great blog! I almost fell on the floor I was laughing so hard! I, along with a large group of people feel the exact same way! I often listen to others that have different opinions that me. I also believe they have valid points and I often wonder, am I wrong for feeling the way I do? Truth is, I have worked in many processing plants. Some aren't pretty to look at, but all have a high level of safety measures in place to protect us. Besides,it really comes down to food preparation, safe food handling and cooking temperature. I read somewhere that you are more likely to get sick from the food in your own kitchen than that of any restaurant. Keep up the good work Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im really glad everyone enjoyed the post, I figured most would agree. The reality is, I think, that this is "most" people, normal everyday people. ha what a crazy day watching this take off:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are having fun with social media too cause if not, life's too short!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the laugh AND for putting things into perspective! I recall listening to that 3 panel discussion and raising my eyebrows a few times also. My lunch today....a mocha/cappucino/vanilla swirl cone. I don't care what kind of sugar sweetened it. I just wanted a cone because it is 97 degrees out there today. My head has been swirling with ideas and thoughts ever since I got home. I wonder if I could write as lively as you do in your blog so to inspire to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! You had my husband, dad and I laughing and smiling while headed to yet another meeting on dealing with the drought. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I appreciated your practical viewpoint in everyday food choices, and couldn't agree more with most everything you have laid out here. Looking forward to more great posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep it's that realist humor That makes u perfect for this. I fight the what I eat fight everyday, especially since Boston was born.( i did go check if there were any gushers left, damn empty box in the pantry!!) but it seems the world is against me, People stop giving my daughter sugar!!! It's so easy to eat fast cheap. my friend has been a raw food vegan for 8 years grows all his food, and hasn't been sick since. Well I guess he could live a little longer, few extra years in the nursing home. Lol

    ReplyDelete