Sunday, August 26, 2012

I Don't Feel Comfortable Being the Spokesperson for All Black People

Its funny the things we remember.  I was in a literature class 15 years ago in a small classroom with maybe 20 others.  I dont remember the material, the faces, or the building, but I do remember the exchange between the professor and a student and the way it stuck in my gut and shaped the way I feel to some extent.  Evidently we were covering some material that had a racial element to it and the professor directed a question toward the only African-American in the room.  I dont remember the question, but I'll never forget her response: "I dont feel comfortable being the spokesperson for all black people." .....AWWWWKWARD!  Quick someone say anything else! Evidently the prof thought itd be interesting to throw it to this poor girl to get the black perspective, or at least this is obviously how this girl took it. I cant remember if I thought the girl was brave or too sensitive, but I do remember thinking I couldve easily done the same thing the professor did, and it made me feel kinda guilty.  Luckily I had a close black friend at the time and he resolved me of my racial guilt (joke, lighten up)  I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, so Im gonna assume it was just an honest mistake or misunderstanding. I seriously doubt a professor teaching a childrens' lit class in Texas is a blatant racist...or was she? (sinister music) Anyway this points out a couple of serious things:

point #1 - Its not my responsibility and shouldn't be my responsibility to be the spokesperson for the larger group that I may be a part of.

I think most people would agree with that.  We are all our own people. I can only speak for myself and to an extent my business or operation. We would never expect the girl in my class to speak for "all black people", its unfair to her and it should make us reflect on how we can throw people into groups based on superficialities.

I want to start a blog, I want to advocate for agriculture (agvocating) among other things. I want it to be real, personal and honest.  I want it to promote all of agriculture but only really speak for me, my family, and our operation.

It doesnt matter what I want.

It didnt matter that Charles Barkley never wanted to be a role model.

The reality is that regardless of point #1, whats true is
point #2 - To many, many people, I will be the spokesperson for the larger group I am a part of , rightly or wrongly, like it or not, its out of my control.

Scary. Heavy. I have to be sure Im ready to speak up.  If I decide to jump in this social media world that is always on, always connected, able to share knowledge at the speed of light, for good or for evil, I will need a plan. Remember, its not my job and it shouldn't be my responsibility, but these aren't things we can control.  The girl in my class had no control of whether her professor viewed her as the spokeswoman for the NAACP.  In fact, she could've answered the question with something like "Actually as a young black woman I think the author captures the feelings a young slave might've been feeling....." etc etc And you know what? No one would've thought anything of it and would've probably appreciated the perspective.   She was the only African-American in the room, so there were no others there to say "Wait a minute, thats not the way I see it" or "Who invited Mrs. Jesse Jackson, you dont speak for me!"

I still cringe when I think about that day.....I cringe every time they trot out Pat Robertson or Rick Warren on tv to give us the Christian perpective.........

I just got back from the AgChat conference.  It was a lot like going to a high school reunion , except not your high school, but you had seen the yearbook ahead of time, kinda weird at first.  Maybe before the internet creepers used yearbooks? idk...   AgChat is a group of amazing people who have an amazing amount of energy and passion and technological knowhow that all share the same goal: to empower farmers and ranchers to connect with communities via social networking.  Well I guess it worked cause I feel empowered, I hope I know what Im getting myself into.

I've been hesitant to get too involved because of the old saying:

                           The nail that sticks out the farthest gets hammered the hardest.

Guess thats no way to live though.

Best I can figure it, if I'm not out there telling my story then some other unsuspecting spokesperson might be, and I guarantee It wont be as good as mine. So here's a quick version:


Our family milks cows and grows crops to feed those cows.  The milk goes all over the country, the manure goes back into the ground as fertilizer for the crops the cows eat which in turn produce the milk, its a neat little cycle.  We are a family farm, started in 1984 by my father-in-law and his dad. We now have 5 family members directly involved and more are on the way. We operate humanely, profitably, and efficiently and are always looking for opportunities for growth.  Our purpose is 3 fold: Cows, Families, and Feeding the World. We care for cows, they are our livelihood, and the #1 priority in all decisions.  We provide for families, our own, and the families of our 80 employees.  We are proud to provide work for men to support their families. We feed the world, 75 thousand gallons of milk each day and counting.  We will continue to produce as much quality milk as we can, as long as all of our purposes are met.

This is our story up til now, but online and off, its only the beginning.

-@JoshinYall


9 comments:

  1. Excellent first post, Josh. You will be the perfect spokesperson for your farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Judi, very nicely written, and a good point. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
    marji coe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great first post Josh! And such a great point. It is nerve-wrecking to think that we may be expected to be a voice for so many other farmers, but if we don't speak up, someone else will. I always try to stick to my experience, but when I can't it's "If I don't know, we'll find someone who does and learn together."

    Great post Josh, looking forward to more great thoughts.

    Ryan Goodman
    AgricultureProud.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I read about the impact the AgChat conference had on some many people, the more I wanna kick myself for NOT attending and I only live about two hours from KC, sigh........ great first blog, you very eloquently put to words what most of us feel, but keep writing and so shall the rest of us, because you're right, nobody else will speak for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent. Awesome. Please keep it up.

    Your perspective brings light to a topic that no one, and I repeat no one, talks about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tremendous introduction! It is overwhelming to think what you might be getting yourself into when taking that first big jump into agvocacy. I have lonv thought about starting a blog myself but can't seem to take that first step - kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You choose how you will be perceived by the world. From reading your post I can tell that you know this and value honesty and humility, as I do. Stay on this path. Keep asking the hard questions. I am eager to read your next post. I have a good feeling about you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You can really write! Who you are really comes across. Brilliant way to communicate. Can't wait for the next installment.
    Love,
    Impressed little sis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh, you jumped right in and I absolutely love it. Way to be bold and no one can tell your own story better than you. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete